Monday, September 19, 2011

Auntie, more rice please.

I have never written about the Children of the World. I don't know if it's because of all of the emotion involved. I am not one to share how I feel emotionally. This is probably due to the fact that someone once told me that I wear my emotions on my sleeve. I was so confused because I was wearing a tank top. We have hosted children in our home for the past 4 years. Every year I look forward to that one weekend. I am incredibly blessed with a lot in my life but out of 52 weeks there is always 1 that stands out. That is the week those children come to my house. I prepare all year. I pray all year. And every year it is different. And every year I am changed. And every year I say...WOW! I never share it because it's such a personal part of me and I never feel comfortable. But this year I will. 4 years ago we hosted 2 children. Deepesh was from Nepal. Wilbur was from Uganda. We had NO idea what we were getting ourselves into! The first night we picked them up we had decided on getting pizza. (Who does not like pizza? Answer: Kids from Nepal and Uganda.) As soon as we said pizza they said, No, Auntie, no pizza. Um....Totally flabbergasted, we switched courses and took them to a restaurant. Unfortunately, there was a bus that had just stopped and the service was very slow. The kids were starving. I had to talk to the manager. Explain that they were hungry and that they had been on the bus for a long time...it worked out (I am incredibly persuasive, especially when hungry). Those children were AMAZING! They taught my 5 year old to ride his bike w/out training wheels. They ignited this flame of happiness that could not be blown out. Words cannot express how their personalities transformed our home. There is still a sticker on one of my bins that says, Deepesh. And when I see it, I burst into a smile. As I type this I am smiling. My memories are warmed. I can see his face and hear his voice. 7 AM "Auntie, go outside please." It's 7AM. Auntie doesn't go outside until at least 10. :) A year later we hosted 2 girls. One from the Philippines and one from Uganda. This was different. My own 2 sons did not connect. I was thrilled to have little girls in my home. They were more conservative, more reserved. We went swimming. J. didn't know how to swim and I held her in the water and when she felt safe she let go and her face lit up with trust and confidence. We played Barbies. We danced. :) A year later we hosted 2 boys. This was just last year and those 2 boys STOLE my heart. Dexter was like a son to me. We connected so quickly. I think he is one of the few people on this earth who understand my humor. He was my buddy. I decided to make him a Filipino recipe. It was hard (b/c I suck at cooking) but I had some help and I will NEVER forget the look on his face when I served it! He was so happy. I traveled many, many miles to see him again and each time I did...it was such a blessing. Dexter..."Is everybody happy? I am." I will always love you and miss you. This year we hosted 2 more boys. Again one was from Uganda and one was from the Philippines. They actually spoke less English than some of our former children. But there was an immediate bond with my 2 sons. Instant. Almost unexplainable. They were such instant friends. The boys didn't really care if I was being funny or trying to play. They were a complete foursome and I can't even explain it to a bystander. I can't even explain it to myself. There were times that I was jealous. I wanted an emotional connection. I wanted to feel like I couldn't let them go. But I didn't feel that. Instead I watched something transpire that I can't explain. 4 boys who belonged together. If you could have seen them...you would have thought they had known each other for a lifetime. There is a loss in our house. A quietness. Like something is missing. And I know it is Andy and Des. When they had to say goodbye I was standing near them and I heard my son say, "Good luck on the rest of your tour. I'll see you in heaven." I wish I could take that moment and stick it in a bottle and open it every time I felt sad. Because the love between those 2 surpassed what we understand and express as adults. Heartfelt. Without prejudice. Innocent and honest. And I believe with all of my heart that those 2 will see each other in heaven. They will "high 5" and they will smile and they will praise God together. God is so good and sometimes we are obedient enough to get to witness a glimpse of that Glory. Thank God that I got to be a witness this past weekend. There is so much emotion on my sleeve right now that I need to get a tissue. Thank you, Heavenly Father, for the children. Each and every one of them that You hold in Your hands. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment