Thursday, April 14, 2011

"C'est la vie", say the old folks

I have to admit that all of the rain and cold lately had been getting to me a little. I usually try never to complain about the weather but even I (who likes to snuggle on rainy days and read, read, read) was getting quite frustrated with the lack of sunshine.

Finally a beautiful day and to celebrate, L. and I decided to go to Friendly's to do our school work. One of the many beauties of homeschooling is combining classic literature and ice cream sundaes!

In the booth behind me was an elderly couple. Now I am not the best at determining someone's biological age by their outward appearance and because of my own experiences of being the recipient of age discrimination, I try never to attempt at guessing. (It just so happens that I look much younger than my actual age. When my children were toddlers we would be out and about and they would be displaying typical toddler behavior. I would usually be exasperated and weary and people often mistook me for a fledgling teenage mother and "feel sorry for me." For the record, I had my first son when I was 27.) If I had to guess, I'd say they were in their late 70's.

The Chuck Berry song, "You Never Can Tell" started playing and I heard the woman say, "I love this song."
Husband: "What song?"
Wife: "The song playing. I really like it. Can't you hear it?"
H: "No. I can't hear anything."
W: "Do you have your hearing aid in?"
H: "Yes."
W: "Both of them?"
H: "Yes, both of them!"
W: "You can't hear me half of the time and I can't hear you the other half."
H: "That's why we go so well together."

Now, at this point I was smiling at the sweetness of the conversation and the idea of growing old with someone.

W: "Do you remember this song?"
H: "No."

Now I am eagerly waiting for her to tell about their young romance and how they were just like the couple in the song. Except she didn't.

W: "Remember when John Travolta danced to this song in that movie? Ah...that John Travolta!"

I almost choked on my coffee! I never would have pegged her as a Quentin Tarantino fan but..."it goes to show you never can tell!"

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for that LAUGH today! I really needed it!

    ReplyDelete