Friday, July 1, 2011

Wooly Bully

We were at the pool a short time ago and the boys had some encounters with other children who wouldn't let them play baseball. I was pretty angry with the situation, both boys were upset and we spent a long time talking about how they need to stand up for themselves and refuse to be bullied. They apparently took my words to heart.

Yesterday, they were playing a game at the pool affectionately known as "run-down." I have no idea who invented this game but all of the younger children seem to enjoy playing it. Lo and behold, the older boys came over to play baseball. I was watching from a distance but was not close enough to hear the conversation. I did, however, observe L1, standing his ground. He was looking up at this teenage boy just staring right at him. The boy had his hand on his hip looking rather flustered and actually threw his bat in frustration and the lifeguard had to yell at him. They let the younger kids continue to play but just stood there in a group watching them. I started to get a little nervous. I walked over just as all of the older boys gave up their idea of a pick-up baseball game and started playing the game with L1. I guess they finally decided to go for the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" philosophy.

Just a few weeks ago, L1 was up to bat and I watched as some bikini-clad teenage girl walked up and took the bat right out of his hands. He came to me crying. I'd like to see her try that again! He has so much more guts than I do. My mother always taught me to love everyone and to turn the other cheek. Unfortunately, I didn't know how to balance loving others without letting them walk all over me and I've spent most of my life allowing other people to make choices for me.

Of course, this is only the beginning of what L1 will face. I know it will not always work out in his favor. But I was still proud of him yesterday as I watched him stand up for himself and for his friends with confidence.

"Never give up, never surrender."

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! You inspire me! You are an amazing person. You are strong and courageous and I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete